January 22, 2009

I had a chat with an old friend of mine via msn today, and I was surprised by the amount of wisdom from this friend of mine. It's been 4 years since she left Singapore for Australia, and I starkly feel that difference between her and Singaporeans of her age. I recalled that she was a person with very strong determination and will, and blessed with the drive to complete what she sets out to do. I feel her assertiveness and passion from those few sentences between us, and I wonder about the world.

Because, you see, the world is an essay and we live in a 'full-stop'. We're so sheltered that it scares me. There's so many restrictions, each greater than the previous, in this tiny dot on the map. Already, I'm feeling the stress of the future, as the release of the results draw ever closer.

She told me to get out of my restricted zone, apply for a visa, and go somewhere further, just so that I could see the numerous rules that dictate my mindset ever since I was brought up.

I said, but there's so many restrictions, like money (for example).

And she told me, "if you dare take a risk, just save up for the flight and leave the rest for getting a job."

Can I?

I wonder, in the future, how am I supposed to feed and care for my parents and support my sister through school? How, can I take a leap of faith and risk things in my life with so much to consider? My actions do not affect me alone, but my family, and my friends. I choose my own path to walk, but I cannot abandon my responsibilities.

So many choices to make, and I'm at the mercy of never-ceasing ticking of time.

She said, "again, it's up to you. just like in writing."

No comments: