April 11, 2008

Finally finished the 3 days long course at Biopolis.

Was supposed to be doing on embryonic stem cells, but the course was changed to CNS regeneration and myelination =( Oh well, I understand the change though, the minuscule tube of human embryonic cells easily costs 6 to 8k and as students we'll probably waste most of it away during the experiment =_= (evilness of spillage)

Oh well. Enjoyed the feeling of sleeping from 9pm to 7am for the past three days, as well as taking afternoon naps during the 2hr lunch break in Biopolis. I swear that I love the air-conditioning system there, it's just perfect for cooling your body down and sleeping. The sliding doors for each lab is another one of my favourites too~ It's just so cool. First time I stepped into the lab area, it looked really sterile to me, and was a perfect place to film haunted movies...

Did dissection and extraction of DNA, and running of a PAGE gel cell. Was doing the experiment on p53 proteins and by the end of it, we had to develop a film with our results. Mine had the strangest results as there was a mistake in one of the steps we did. Lols. Definitely learned quite a lot of new stuff. For our bench, we used the lung, heart and brain tissues to make our DNA samples for the extraction.

Went into the dark room today, it was a totally new experience! It's really pitch dark in it, and you could only see faint traces with the installed infra-red lights after a while for your eyes to get adjusted. There's also this circular turning mechanism in place of a door to prevent stray light from entering too.

It was fun taking the Biopolis shuttle bus (yes, shoot me) , it comes almost at every 5 minute interval, so I really liked it. Convenient, and it wasn't too crowded or stinky. Out of the 3 days, I spent two day's worth of lunch eating at the opposite building's food court. The food there wasn't excellent, but definitely much better tasting than some of the food courts in shopping malls. Cheaper too. I had a fish and chips set for only $4.50 (=

Made some friends there, mainly 3 from Bukit Panjang Govt High and 2 from RJC, not to mention bonding with fellow JJ students Shu Qing and Pamela. There was a shy one from Navel Base Sec too. Hahas, discovered another fellow lamer! Spent the extra time after the discussion period today to crap and turn the already cold lab into something colder.

Yep, overall a good break from school and an enriching experience. It has made me learn something important though.. that I'm not going into the science faulty because I wouldn't be able to stand doing the same type of experiments everyday. Business school, here I come!

I think I might miss the tall buildings named after some bio terms. Hmm..

But now, I'm looking forward to my journey around Singapore tomorrow. Hehheh.

No comments: